The Emerging Leader Program aims to support exceptional people in developing their leadership potential and assist them in turning their vision for their community into a reality.
What is an Emerging Leader?
An Emerging Leader is someone who is at the beginning of their journey. They have recognised leadership skills and are ready to further develop their opportunities both personally and professionally. Their present focus is on a singular plan in an already recognised area of work.
What is the Emerging Leader Program?
Those taking part in the program will have access to mentoring, professional and personal development and the opportunity to improve their leadership skills. They will also receive a $30,000 grant over a period of 12 months to assist with:
- The development of identified personal and professional development goals
- Planning and implementing an initiative that will benefit their community
- Interested parties are invited to nominate themselves or someone else for the Emerging Leader Program
Applicants must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, currently living in Victoria and have a plan that is designed for the First Nations community of Victoria.
Application Requirements – Emerging Leader
Applicants should have identified goals/objectives within a specific sector (i.e. business, health, arts, sport, youth) and have a knowledge of the resources needed to achieve their identified goals/objectives.
The applicant must address the selection criteria below and also provide an outline for a 12-month plan for their local Indigenous community or statewide that has a specific vision or idea that would demonstrate/foster leadership within the community.
This should include any personal and professional development skills you wish to further develop in order to reach the aims of your specific plan, activities that will help you achieve your vision, a draft timeline and a proposed budget.
The Selection Panel will be looking for evidence of:
- Commitment to achievement and an understanding of leadership
- Skill and ability to undertake and complete goals/objectives
- Ability to contribute to strengthening leadership within Victoria’s First Nations community
- A commitment to promoting and strengthening Victoria’s First Nations culture
- A strong base within Victoria’s First Nations community evidenced by demonstrated relationships with already established First Nations organisations, communities and projects
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong and fruitful relationships and networks with individuals, groups and organisations in the First Nations and mainstream communities
- The desire to share knowledge and experience, and to work to increase the understanding and skills of others, including the ability to work as part of a team and foster teamwork
- Applicants must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and currently living in Victoria
- Fellowship initiatives must benefit First Nations Victoria
Biographies of current and past Fellowship for Indigenous Leadership Emerging Leaders and their achievements are available in this section.