The Young Leader Program aims to support young individuals to focus their drive and energy in areas of importance and enable them to pursue their visions for the well-being and cultural identity of Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
We want to encourage them to demonstrate leadership in its many forms as the youth of today are, and always will be, a driving force in our communities.
What is a Young Leader?
A Young Leader is someone who is at the beginning of their journey. They have recognised leadership skills and are ready to further develop their opportunities both personally and professionally.
What is the Young Leader Program?
Those taking part in the program will have access to mentoring, professional and personal development and the opportunity to improve their leadership skills. They will also receive a $10,000 grant over a period of 12 months to assist with:
- The development of identified personal and professional development goals
- Planning and implementing an initiative that will benefit their community
Applicants must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, currently living in Victoria and have a plan that is designed for the Indigenous community of Victoria.
Applicants should have identified goals/objectives within a specific sector (ie health, arts, sport, youth) and have a knowledge of the resources needed to achieve their identified goals/objectives.
The applicant must address the selection criteria below and also provide an outline for a 12-month plan for their local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community or statewide that has a specific vision or idea that would demonstrate/foster leadership within the community.
This should include any personal and professional development skills you wish to further develop in order to reach the aims of your specific plan, activities that will help you achieve your vision, a draft timeline and a proposed budget.
The Selection Panel will be looking for evidence of:
- A commitment to achievement and an understanding of leadership
- Skill and ability to undertake and complete goals/objectives
- Ability to contribute to strengthening leadership within Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community
- A commitment to promoting and strengthening Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture
- A strong base within Victoria’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community evidenced by demonstrated relationships with already established Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations, communities and projects
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong and fruitful relationships and networks with individuals, groups and organisations in the Victorian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- The desire to share knowledge and experience, and to work to increase the understanding and skills of others, including the ability to work as part of a team and foster teamwork
- Applicants must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and currently living in Victoria
- Fellowship initiatives must benefit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities of Victoria