Fellow 2014 - 2017
Karen Milward is a Yorta Yorta woman who was born and raised in Melbourne. She has developed extensive networks within the Victorian Indigenous community and Indigenous communities nationally as well as within State and Commonwealth Government Departments and agencies in Victoria.
Karen is a strong advocate for developing culturally appropriate solutions to the issues confronting Indigenous people, which empower individuals and communities so they can confidently and effectively move forward. As well as being a co-Chairperson of the Indigenous Leadership Network Victoria, Karen is the Chairperson of the Mullum Mullum Indigenous Gathering Place (MMIGP) and the Eastern Indigenous Healing Service.
Karen has consulting experience on a broad range of initiatives – especially those working with Indigenous communities. She is a strong advocate for developing culturally appropriate solutions to the issues confronting Indigenous people and which empower individuals and communities so they can confidently and effectively move forward.
Karen has extensive experience in social research. Her expertise and broad ranging experience includes issues concerningAboriginal communities and organisations, early intervention and prevention, children and young people, health, housing, drug and alcohol, family violence, native title, education, training and employment, cultural heritage, social justice, and Aboriginal cultural competence and responsiveness to government and mainstream services. She has worked in various areas of Aboriginal Affairs specialising in community development through education, employment and economic development.
Karen’s leadership roles include:
- Chair – Mullum Mullum Indigenous Gathering Place in Ringwood East
- Chairperson – Boorndawan Willam Aboriginal Healing Service – Eastern Metropolitan Region
- Chairperson – Kinaway – Victorian Aboriginal Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Chairperson – Indigenous Community Volunteers (ICV) – National Organisation
- Member – Victorian Premier’s Aboriginal Advisory Group
- Victorian Aboriginal Economic Development Working Group
- Eastern Metropolitan Region Local Indigenous Network